Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Thailand Update #2

Hello AGPMA Friends and Family,


How do you define a “Pocket of Greatness”? That question has been asked of me more than once in sharing the term with others. Here is one answer that God gave me last summer while getting ready for the open performance for our Master’s test: Would you say that a superstar would be synonymous with greatness? I got this from my Life Application Bible:

“Those who are wise will shine like the brightness of the heavens, and those who lead many to righteousness, like the stars forever and ever.” – Daniel 12:3

Application: Many people try to be stars in the world, only to find their stardom temporary. God tells us how we can be eternal “stars” – by being wise and leading many to God’s righteousness. If we can share our Lord with others, we can be true stars, radiantly beautiful in God’s sight!

We all have the opportunity to care, influence, and set an example for others. I approach my adventure full of hope that I may lead a righteous life and seek every opportunity to lead others in a Godly direction.

The Muay Thai training is getting better every day. The aches and pains are not as many and I think my body is adapting to the torture (I mean training)! In some respects, Muay Thai is a very simple and effective fighting system. But when you get in close, working on the inside with the clenches and take downs and mix in the knees and elbows, it brings it to a whole new level of complexity. I believe that I made a good choice in beginning my training at the Fairtex Camp. After all, my base is striking and I never want to get too far from my base.

In my last letter, I mentioned our two fighters who were scheduled to fight last Thursday night in Pattraya. I am happy to report that both Ben and Andrew were victorious in BIG ways! Once again, I was so impressed with the mental and physical toughness of all the Thai fighters. They show no sign of pain, no matter how much of a beating they take. They are beyond tough!!

I have had the pleasure of being taken out to Bangkok a couple of times. The first time, to enjoy some traditional Thai food and, the second time, to eat a traditional greasy American hamburger (and I mean GREASY)!! For dessert, I found a Starbucks and indulged in a Caramel Macchiato and I’m happy to report that it tasted just like home!

I am rapidly falling in love with the Thais who have an innocence about them that radiates care and concern. They seem to have true servant’s hearts while working for little to nothing. They lead simple lives and are surrounded by many of the temptations that I remember growing up with. I thank God that someone took time to share the Lord with me and that I surrendered my life when I did. (Otherwise…who knows where I’d be??) Daily, I seek the opportunity to share God’s love and peace with my trainers and my fellow Thai students. I never would have thought of myself as a missionary because I always said that I am surrounded by people who need to meet the Lord right at home. But here I am, seeking to build his kingdom in Thailand. His Word says it all…”His ways are not our ways. He sees so much more.”

With this trip, Kim and I have entered “no man’s land”!! In the 30 years that we’ve been together, we’ve never been apart for more than 10 days! I’ve been counting down the days ‘til I return while, at the same time, getting the most from my training and giving all to my purpose here.

Pick up your training and stay true to your heart…once you’ve given it to the Lord!!

God’s Love & Peace,

Al Garza
http://www.algarza.com/

No comments: