Monday, January 12, 2009

China Update #2

Hello AGPMA Friends and Family,


One thing that I have learned in my study of God’s Word is that he always gives it to us straight. For example, in Revelations he warns…

“I know your deeds, that you are neither hot nor cold. I wish you were either one or the other! So because you are lukewarm – neither hot nor cold – I am about to spit you out of my mouth.”
Revelations 3:15-16 (NIV)
Can’t get to the point much better than that! When I started thinking about that verse, I began to compare being “lukewarm” to being a “pocket of greatness.” (As I have mentioned in some of my previous letters, one of my goals in my travels has been to find pockets of greatness and to be a pocket of greatness.) I would venture to say that someone who is lukewarm would not be a pocket of greatness in God’s eyes. That said…I decided that I do not want to be lukewarm. My goal is to be on fire, fully alive, stepping up and stepping out of my comfort zone to be used by God in a great way. I’d say that would be a pretty good example of a “pocket of greatness”! I am excited to look for opportunities to be that person and I am continually blessed as I find that greatness in others.
One “pocket of greatness” I would like to recognize is my new friend and gracious host, Mr. John Hu. As I mentioned before, John and his family own five separate John’s Café and Travel locations on the East Side of China. His hospitality has definitely been a blessing on this trip as he has helped make arrangements for my flights, my room and board, my meals, my training, and even my communication with my wife and family. God’s Word tells us that what we do to the “unto the least of these” we do unto the Lord. Well…John Hu has definitely taken care of “the least of these” as he has looked after me while I am all alone in a land that is foreign to me. It is apparent that God’s Love is in him as he continually shows that love to me.
Week two highlights are many…
First, to update you on my battle with the bees…The Chinese Fighting Bees have discovered my training area. I think they have observed my technique and I have to admit that I no longer intimidate them with my Tai Chi skills. They have realized that I am just a beginner and they now come at me like bananas in bunches. I have reverted to practicing Mr. Mireles’ dance defense against them (Aaron, you know the oneJ). As aggressive as they are, I’m sure they are harmless. Just the same, please pray for me to make it out without a sting!
Ms. Wong joined Ms. Yu and I in our training last week to make for some interesting workout sessions. Ms. Wong is a middle school teacher who came to her first lesson as ready to practice her English as she was to learn Tai Chi. With her help, we made it through the first six Fruits of the Spirit – Love, Joy, Peace, Patience, Kindness, and Goodness…and the rest are to follow. We had a lot of fun as I taught them the words in English and they taught me the Chinese translations. Ms. Wong has trained with us twice now and she has brought a lot of fun and energy to the lessons.
Another highlight was being introduced to Tai Chi Softball…very interesting! It reminds me of hacky sack (which I have no personal experience with, but have watched my talented young staff members play). The only difference is that Tai Chi Softball is played with a racket. It starts out very basic, but it can get pretty fancy pretty quickly. Ms. Yu demonstrated it for me first and I thought to myself “that looks pretty simple.” Then I got the racket in my hand and gained a whole new respect for Ms. Yu and for the art of Tai Chi Softball as I realized the control and the finesse that was involved. I have made some progress since my first attempt at it. We have been using it as a warm up and a cool down and I have learned that it is a great way to practice Tai Chi through disguised repetition.
As of now, I have experienced (learned would be an exaggeration) two Tai Chi forms, Tai Chi balance and flexibility exercises, Tai Chi Softball and today I was introduced to the Tai Chi Sword (something that I have been looking forward to). At best, I have been moving slowJ! Get it? Tai Chi=Slow! (Oh well…couldn’t resist)! The slow movements ofTai Chi are a definite contrast to my Tae Kwon Do base and the Premier Martial Arts and Krav Maga that I practice at home, as well as the Muay Thai training I experienced in Thailand and the Jujitsu training that I experienced in Brazil. In short, it is not what I am used to! However, the body control, mental concentration, and deep breathing is exactly what I was looking for. As I mentioned before, my goal here has been to add balance to my training and my teaching. I’ve heard it said that seeking balance is like “being in a state of constant negotiation” and this experience has proven that statement to be true.
I will learn all that I can during my last week here in Kashgar and I will look forward to coming home and passing on what I have learned to my students. I don’t mean to whine…but I miss everyone tremendously! I am very excited about coming home on Tuesday and I am ready to hit the ground running!!
Before closing, I would like to take a minute to congratulate my awesome AGPMA team back home for the great job they are doing while I am away. Daily reports from Kim have been outstanding and it’s is exciting to know that my students are being taken care of in my absence. In November, we will celebrate our 31st Anniversary in the Martial Arts business and October will mark 2 years of being a Premier Martial Arts school. I am very proud of both of these accomplishments. I know that the Premier systems have so much to do with the team’s success while I am away and I am so happy that I was inspired to join the Premier Team!
Once again, I’d like to say a special thanks to my good friends – Joseph Polizzi (of Polizzi Financial Services) and Natalie King (of Meineke Car Care Centers). And thanks to the rest of my friends, family, staff, and students who have supported me with your thoughts and prayers!
God’s Love and Peace,


Al Garza

No comments: