Saturday, January 10, 2009

Brazil Update #1

Hello AGPMA Friends and Family,

What is your “BHAG”? The phrase “Big Hairy Audacious Goal” (BHAG – pronounced Bee-HAG) is used by author Jim Collins to describe the passion, the desire, the purpose, the vision that drives you. It is a clear and compelling long term goal that you strive for and progress toward. What are you passionate about? What are you great at? What drives you? When you discover the answer to these questions, you have discovered your BHAG!

The “Great Grandmaster Adventure” is my BHAG – it is what drives me and what I am passionate about. As a Martial Artist my long term goal is to earn the rank of Grandmaster (10th Degree Black Belt). But more importantly, I desire to gain firsthand knowledge of what the Martial Arts world has to offer and to experience different styles, training methods, relationships, and cultures. In 2033, at the young age of 77, I will reach the honorable rank of Grandmaster and thus my “Great Grandmaster Adventure” will be complete. My purpose in this adventure, however, is about more than just the Martial Arts. God has put this mission in my heart and I pray that, by living it to the fullest, I may inspire others to reach for their full potential as well. As a Christian, my goal is to be a Godly example, to inspire, and to lead others to Christ. It’s more than just a long term goal…it’s about eternity!

As most of you know, 2007 has been the kick-off year for my adventure. Each trip has been a short-term step in the progress toward my goal. So far my trips have included: Madison, Wisconsin where I trained with my friend Grandmaster Ron Van Browning and, fellow PMA school owner, Randy Reid; Bangkok, Thailand where I trained at the world renowned Fairtex Muay Thai Training Camp; Dallas, Texas where I attended the first Kick-4-College Karate Championship; and Jupiter, Florida where I attended the first Premier Mixed Martial Arts Certification. My time at home has been just as memorable as my time away. Some highlights have included: hosting and training in the Modern Arnis Winter Camp with students from all over the country and world; directing the Battle of Texas Karate Champions for my cousins, the Benavidez’s; witnessing the Baptism of three AGMA students into God’s Kingdom; being treated to the UFC Fights at the Toyota Center as a birthday present from my student and friend, Roy Starr; and spending Easter at home with my wonderful family. While some steps have been bigger than others, each has been an opportunity to learn and grow, and the best part has been sharing the knowledge and experience gained with my students.

And that brings up to today…when I will take the next step as I leave for Rio, Brazil! After walking daily by faith and waiting for guidance from God, He spoke and He provided the necessary funds for me to book my flight. In an effort to avoid overburdening my family or my school, my student and accountant, Mr. Joseph Polizzi offered to sponsor my flight to Brazil. At Graduation last week, Mr. Polizzi gave his testimony as to why he feels that this sponsorship will benefit him as a student and as a business owner. For those of you who were there, I hope you enjoyed his talk.

I have been advised by Mr. Polizzi to offer the same opportunity to those AGMA business owners and supporters who might like to be used by God in providing for the rest of the funds for Brazil and for future travels. In return, beyond the eternal blessings, sponsors could receive marketing for their business or cause. For example, business names of sponsors will be listed in all email updates (sent out to hundreds of students, businesses, and friends), sponsors will be listed in an e-book that will be written about the Great Grandmaster Adventure, etc. In addition, I will be offering private lessons in the Martial Art of each country that I visit (i.e. Muay Thai from Thailand, Brazilian Jujitsu from Brazil, etc.). I hope that anyone who is able will consider taking advantage of this opportunity and be blessed through the funding of this cause.

“Where God guides, God provides!” This has been our motto since beginning this adventure. Walking in faith is not only believing that God’s Word is true; but also believing that every one of His miracles is real and can be real in your life, and every one of His promises is kept and will be kept in your life. In faith, we must take what we know to be truth and apply it to our own life. So, I ask for your prayers as I walk in faith, knowing that God will continue to provide as I seek to do His will.

Matthew 23:11-12 says, “The greatest among you will be your servant. For whoever exalts himself will be humbled, and whoever humbles himself may be exalted.” Wherever I am, I pray that I will continue to humble myself before the Lord so that I may serve others and be used to do His will.

I have enjoyed my time at home with my family and my students and I am now full of anticipation as to what adventures my Brazil trip might hold. I am looking forward to sharing those blessings with you all! Thank you for your continued prayers and support in my travels!!


God’s Love & Peace,



Master Al Garza


P.S. I hope you enjoyed the three updates from Thailand. If you didn’t receive them and would like to, please contact Kim or Ashley (by replying to this email) to request them.


WALK BY FAITH!
(in the Word of God)...
BE BIG!
(Blessed in God)...
DIP!
(Lower yourself before the Lord)

www.algarza.com

No comments: